Aquaculture << back

Think global – act local

The world is growing together. Goods are traded around the world, people travel, cultures and values ​​are converging. Not everything we take for granted also applies in other cultures – and not everything that is common elsewhere is familiar to us. In order to make this a sustainable process regarding man and nature, we require good information on all sides about the reciprocal demands and needs of producers and consumers. And all of this across regional and cultural boundaries.

 

GLOBAL AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTION REQUIRES GLOBAL RULES

Food also increasingly comes from globalized agriculture – with all the advantages and all the risks. The global exchange of agricultural products is certainly a good thing for the diversity of our diet. And for farmers too, a broader market provides greater opportunities and makes them less susceptible to regional fluctuations. On the other hand, the integration of the world also holds the risks of misunderstanding and uncontrolled intervention in traditional agricultural practices. It is therefore important that a global dialogue on "Good Agricultural Practice" takes place in addition to the primarily local quality, ecological, social or other standards. Only in such a dialogue can universally accepted rules across regional and social boundaries be defined and enforced. And that is exactly what global standards are working towards.

 

GGN.ORG – CERTIFIED AQUACULTURE AS A FUTURE PROJECT FOR AQUA FARMERS AND CONSUMERS

Although aquaculture now covers around 50% of global fish production, only about 10% of all aquaculture farms are to this day actually certified according to reliable standards. Of course this does not mean that the remaining 90% work "badly". But it does mean that for 90% of products, we as consumers do not have the freedom to recognize good agricultural practices and to reward them accordingly by purchasing such products.

THE MOST IMPORTANT GLOBAL STANDARDS FOR AQUACULTURE

We wish to present and accompany the most important standards and their labels in the area of aquaculture on our online portal GGN.ORG. By providing good information and interesting news on the issue of global aquaculture, we hope to bring aqua farmers and consumers closer together and to get their support for the project of common rules. And this is where we wish to support and promote the progress of certified aquaculture independently of individual standards.